- November 3rd, 2018 – Yvonne Chenier will be presenting “Objects & Bylaws – Govern yourself accordingly!” to Board Leadership Calgary 2018.
- October 2018 – We are pleased to announce some of our lawyers have been included in the Best Lawyers in Canada 2019. Listed on the website are:
- Arthur Drache in Estates and Trust
Karen Cooper for Charity and Not for Profit Law as well as Estates and Trust
Sylvie Lalonde for Health Care Law
Yvonne Chenier for Charity and Not for Profit Law
- Arthur Drache in Estates and Trust
- October 25th, 2018 – Sylvie Lalonde will be presenting a rapid fire session at the CSAE National Conference 2018. Drache Aptowitzer will also have a booth at the event. We look forward to seeing you there.
- October 24th, 2018 Yvonne Chenier will be speaking to the Edmonton Chamber of Voluntary Organizations (ECVO) entitled “Living Your Charitable Purposes and Keeping your Non Profit Healthy”.
September 28th, 2018, Karen Cooper spoke at the Annual Conference of the Association of Treasurers or Religious Institutes in Toronto.
September 20th, 2018 the Alberta Museums Association had their 2018 Conference. Yvonne Chenier presented a Pre-Conference Workshop entitled “Governance Made Fun”. This session explained how good governance can transform your museum and enhance communications within an organization. Speakers presented the legal aspects of non-profit management, cover the financial responsibilities of good governance, and answer questions about the Canada Revenue Agency.
September 17, 2018 – a special Senate Committee was held to examine the impact of federal and provincial laws and policies governing charities, nonprofit organizations, foundations, and other similar groups; and to examine the impact of the voluntary sector in Canada. Adam Aptowitzer was asked to be an expert witness during their discussion of donations of private securities to Charities.
- May 29, 2018 – Karen Cooper spoke at the STEP National Conference in Toronto on May 29th, with a panel discussing “Charitable Foundations Today: Their Creative Establishment and Use”.
- May 11, 2018 – Karen Cooper participated in a panel discussion in Toronto at the CBA Charity Law Symposium regarding the “Development of Jurisprudence Post-Vancouver Society of Immigrant and Visible Minority Women Supreme Court Case (January 28, 1999)”.
- May 11, 2018 – Sylvie Lalonde spoke about “Running a Proper Annual General Meeting” in Montebello, Quebec for the CCLA 2018 East Region Solicitors Conference
- May 8, 2018 – Yvonne Chenier moderated a panel for the CCVO about the New Occupational Health and Safety Legislation in Alberta.
- April 16, 2018 – Karen Cooper was interviewed for an article in the Philanthropist entitled “Canada’s ‘Symbolic’ Rescue of Journalism May Be Too Little/ Too Late”.
- April 11-13, 2018, Adam Aptowitzer and Karen Cooper spoke at the 25th Annual Canadian Association of Gift Planners (CAGP) Conference in Winnipeg about the Donation of Bitcoin and Other Cryptocurrencies.
- March 7, 2018, Alexandra Tzannidakis joined a panel at the NEEP Buzz Forum presented by the World Skills Employment Centre. NEEP stands for Non-profit Employer Engagement Project and will deal with the top issues facing non-profits. Ms. Tzannidakis discussed Fundraising in Social Enterprise and will be available to answer your questions.
- February 27th, 2018 Adam Aptowitzer spoke at the CPA Not For Profit Executive Forum in Toronto speaking on the topic of running businesses in both charities and not for profits from a legal perspective.
- January 17, 2018, Karen Cooper stopped by the Rideau Centre to speak to STEP Ottawa discussing Philanthropy – Taxation and Best Practices.
- November 9th, 2017 Yvonne Chenier spoke at Calvista LLP’s Annual Charities and Not for Profit day in Calgary. She presented a talk entitled “What you didn’t know you didn’t know, and why it’s important”.
- October 26th, 2017 Adam Aptowitzer and Diane Hodgins of the Shorefast Foundation presented at the CSAE National Converence in St. John’s, Newfoundland. For details on their talk please visit the CSAE Website , or hear about their talk in their own words here.
- September 12th, 2017 the C.D. Howe institute published a paper written by Adam Aptowitzer e ntitled “No need to Reinvent the Wheel: Promoting Donations of Private Company Shares and Real Estate“. In this paper he explores how the federal government can extend favourable tax treatment to the donation of private company shares and real estate. Jamie Golombek covers the paper in his article entitled “A charitable proposal amid the small business tax uproar” appearing in the Saturday, September 16th, 2017 issue of the Financial Post.
- July 17th, 2017 – Sylvie Lalonde presented to the University of Ottawa’s new francophone CLE program for lawyers, called “PratiquO”. Sylvie’s presentation was in French and was an introduction to Not for Profit Organizations for lawyers who do not practice in the area. It was recorded and will be posted on the PratiquO portal where it can be viewed by other lawyers for CLE hours. For more information on the PratiquO program please see this announcement or visit the portal.
- March 2017 – Yvonne Chenier Q.C. and Alexandra Tzannidakis will be speaking at the upcoming 24th annual CAGP conference in Toronto taking place at the Hilton. Yvonne and Alexandra will speak to the legalities of “Fundraising Without Borders” on Wednesday, March 29th, 2017. Here is a sneak peek. For more information on the CAGP Conference or to register to see Yvonne and Alexandra speak, please visit the CAGP website .
- February 2017 – Arthur Drache is featured in the Philanthropist – Canada 150 Profiles series. To read Arthur’s profile click here.
- January 2017 – Drache Aptowitzer LLP is proud to announce that it has received honourable mention in Canadian Lawyer Magazine’s listing of Top 5 Tax Boutiques in Canada.
- December 2016, Yvonne Chenier Q.C., will be speaking with a variety of other experts involved in the Not for Profit sector, at Calvista LLP’s annual client information day – Not For Profit Update 2016. Her topics this year include limited partnerships, new requirements regarding testimonials, and other legal updates. While this event is by invitation, she hopes to see you there.
November 2016 – Kara Johnson joined the Drache Aptowitzer LLP team on November 1st, 2016 and we are delighted to have her. While new to the legal profession, Kara brings a wealth of experience from her many varied positions. Kara is fluent in English, French, Spanish, and conversant in Italian. To find out more about Kara, please feel free to read more here.Adam Aptowitzer is speaking at the CBA’s Administrative Law National Gathering about Julie Guindon v.s. Her Majesty the Queen, which was argued by Adam up to the supreme court level, on Friday November 18th, 2016.
Drache Aptowitzer LLP will be appearing as an exhibitor along with Global Philanthropic at AFP Congress 2016 in Toronto, November 21-23rd. Stop by our booth and say hello.
- October 2016 – Arthur Drache will be a presenter at a symposium for museum and gallery board members sponsored by the Museums Foundation of Canada in Toronto on October 24th, 2016. Karen Cooper will be speaking at the Cross Border Conservation 2016 LTA Rally taking place in Minneapolis, Minnesota on October 30th, 2016 about “Navigating the Complexities of U.S./Canada Cross Border Conservation”.
- September 2016 – Karen Cooper and Arthur Drache were named in the 2016 Best Lawyers in Canada guide. Adam Aptowitzer was named as a 2016 Corporate Lawyer to watch by Lexpert and has been elected to the Federal Court Bench and Bar Committee of the Canadian Bar Association and our very own Yvonne Chenier Q.C. was elected to the National Section Charity Council
- June 2016 – Guy Mallabone of Global Philanthropic and Adam Aptowitzer on the subject of “Practical and Legal Approaches for Developing a Major Gift”. The presentation will take place on June 20th, 2016 1:00 PM EST. Click here to sign up.
- May 2016 – Alexandra Tzannidakis on the subject of “Attracting Donations from Entrepeneurs”. The presentation will take place on May 25th, 2016
- February 2016 – On February 5th at 1:30 PM Alexandra Tzannidakis will give a legal update for charities and NFP’s as part of the OBA Institute 2016 at the Delta Hotel Downtown Ottawa. SAVE THE DATE – February session on Learning the Ropes of Social Enterprise. Yvonne Chenier will be presenting on February 22nd at 1:00 PM EST. Click here to sign up
- January 2016 – Adam Aptowtizer presented to the Estate Planning Council of Eastern Ontario.
- October 2015 – Karen J. Cooper will be travelling to the First Congress of the International Land Conservation Network conference in Berlin, Germany to speak about private land taxation to an international audience. We are also proud to announce that Karen has been honoured as a 2016 Best Lawyer in Canada for her work in the area of trusts and estates.
- September 2015 – Adam Aptowitzer presents to a group of Dentists discussing tax issues that have universal significance. View the presentation here. Karen J. Cooper will be at the Association of Treasurers of Religious Institutes (ATRI) conference in Saskatoon to give a workshop on tax and charity law updates that impact religious organizations.