It is well known that charities and not for profits are subject to an extraordinary level of regulation. Drache Aptowitzer LLP’s lawyers are some of the most senior in the country dealing with charity law issues and can assist with every legal step of operating a charity, from creation to dissolution and everything in between.
Counsel is important because the consequences to charities for breaking the rules can be severe.
These consequences include revocation of a charity’s registered status, loss of all its assets, and in some cases personal liability of the directors, so it is essential to be armed with knowledgeable representation at every turn. The law in this area is complicated, and many people are not aware of the proper questions to ask or the risks involved.
In our experience, even an oral interview with CRA can result in disastrous consequences without proper guidance.
Here are just some of the areas Drache Aptowitzer LLP can help you with:
- Registering as a charity
- Incorporating your charity or non-profit
- Structuring the corporation to meet its needs
- Help dealing with CRA and Income Tax Act compliance
- Annual filings
- Operating inter-provincially
- Complying with fundraising legislation
- Lobbyist registration
- Land transfer and property taxes
- Structuring donations for maximum tax efficiency
- Director and member meetings
- CRA and Revenu Québec audits
- GST disputes
- Appeals and objections (sanctions, de-registrations, suspensions, etc.)